Regular dental exams are an essential element of preventative dentistry because they allow Dr. Ross to diagnose and address dental issues before they become serious problems. Most adults are advised to come in for an exam every six months, but if Dr. Ross sees that your circumstances require more attention he might suggest more frequent visits.
The Need for Dental Exams
If left untreated, dental problems usually get much worse. Patients that make regular visits to Dr. Ross are much less likely to have small problems develop into major issues. If tooth decay, for example, goes untreated, the tooth may become increasingly damaged. The more damaged a tooth becomes, the less likely it becomes that the majority of the original tooth can be saved.
Regular exams will give you the best opportunity for the early detection and treatment of major oral problems. In addition to maintaining your oral health, regular dental exams and good hygiene will end up saving you money because they’ll help you avoid the high costs of teeth repair and replacement.
What to Expect During a Routine Exam
When you come into our office for a dental exam with Dr. Ross, you should also expect to get a cleaning during the same appointment. Then the following will happen:
- After the dental hygienist gives your teeth a thorough cleaning, Dr. Ross will review your x-rays and take new ones if necessary.
- After reviewing your x-rays he will make a visual inspection of your mouth, often using instruments such as the dental explorer or a long handled mirror. He will check to see that your gums are firm and pink and that your teeth don’t have any soft, rough or discolored surfaces or other potential problem indicators.
- If he sees any signs of decay, or any other potential issues, Dr. Ross will recommend treatment.
- He will keep a thorough record of each patient’s history so that he can be aware of each patient’s individual needs and previous diagnostics and preferences.
We always keep a thorough record of each patient’s history, so Dr. Ross can be aware of each patient’s individual needs and previous diagnostics and preferences. This helps you get care designed just for YOU!
How Often Are Regular Exams Necessary?
Most adults require exams at least twice a year, but if your mouth is especially prone to gum disease, tooth decay or tartar buildup, Dr. Ross may suggest more frequent appointments. Each patient is different and Dr. Ross will create a personalized oral health care plan that will best meet your unique needs.
Keep Your Teeth Healthy and Beautiful with Regular Dental Exams at Grand Avenue Dental Care!
To schedule an appointment, call us at our office in Billings, MT.
A crucial element of any proper oral hygiene program is regular dental cleanings performed by a trained professional. Dr. Ross, or his dental hygienist, will provide expert care at each general dentistry appointment with thorough teeth cleanings that combat plaque—the primary cause of gingivitis, tooth decay and serious gum disease.
The Need for Regular Dental Cleanings
The most important aspect of preventative oral care is to fight plaque and keep bacteria from causing decay in your teeth. Although daily brushing and flossing are necessary elements in your plaque defense regime, the professional teeth cleanings from Dr. Ross and his team provide a more thorough removal of plaque and tartar that cannot be accomplished at home.
Even consistent and proper brushing can’t completely remove gumline tartar by itself. In addition to maintaining your oral health, good hygiene and regular dental cleanings will end up saving you money because they’ll help you avoid the high costs associated with teeth repair and replacement.
What to Expect During a Regular Dental Cleaning
Dr. Ross typically prefers that an exam and cleaning are scheduled during the same appointment. During the cleaning portion of your visit, you can expect the following:
- Dr. Ross typically prefers that an exam and cleaning are scheduled during the same appointment.
- Most cleanings are conducted by a dental hygienist who is an expert at prophylaxis (“prophy”)—the thorough cleaning that removes tough plaque and tartar with specially designed dental tools.
- The hygienist can remove tartar (hardened plaque found at, or sometimes below, the gumline) that you will not be able to clean with your toothbrush at home.
- Your hygienist will also be able to perform scaling, a more intensive cleaning treatment.
- Your cleaning session will conclude with a thorough polishing that will leave your teeth feeling smooth and fresh.
These cleanings are one of the best ways to prevent cavities and other tooth damage, so call us for an appointment today!
Are Regular Visits Necessary?
Most adults require cleanings at least twice a year but if your mouth is especially prone to gum disease, tooth decay or tartar buildup then Dr. Ross may suggest more frequent appointments.
Prevent Dental Damage with Professional Cleanings at Grand Avenue Dental Care!
To find out more about our regular cleanings and how a professional tooth cleaning every six months is a vital part of a healthy oral hygiene routine, call us at our office today. We would be happy to answer any questions you might have or schedule an appointment with Dr. Ross!